Thursday 18 February 2021

The Transfer Window

Hello there reader, hope you are happy and content in life right now.

My school has just informed me that applications for transfer are now open. I like to refer to it as the great transfer window (yes like in EPL); a short space of time, during which you might be able to get a new placement. If you miss out, you have to wait till the next transfer window opens up.

I have been applying since 2017 to be transferred out of Johor back to Klang. I have been unsuccessful thus far.

The Misunderstanding ...

Do not get me wrong. Life in Kulai, Johor is not at fault here. In fact, it has been a blessing in so many ways. I am surrounded by lovely people who provide me with comfort and care. I belong to a school where I am able to get along with all my co-workers, have great superiors, and many opportunities to grow. I have never felt isolated by the community in my midst; whether professional or the church family. Even the room I rent is from a family I know from church. When I sit and reflect on all these positives, it seems absurd, almost ungrateful to want to give it all up, for a chance at the unknown. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, after all.

The Reason …

While I try to be grateful for all that I am blessed with, I also carry a small prayer; to eventually be able to work close to home, to have my family nearby and to be allowed to think of settling down closer to where I grew up. Some people yearn to spread their wings elsewhere, have adventures overseas and explore greener pastures of better opportunities. As much as I have thought about this alternative, for me, there is really no place like home. Cliché, as it sounds, it would give me so much joy to live out my coming years in the comfort of close family.

The Challenge…

Having said that, securing the golden ticket back to Klang is no easy task. Thousands of teachers all around Malaysia try to achieve the same outcome of being sent to the state of their choice. Those who take the normal route, try to alter their explanations for wanting a transfer each year. It helps your case if the justification is deemed good enough. There are even blogs sharing “popular excuses” to cite in your transfer papers, for a higher chance of success. 


Others who have contact with people at higher levels might desperately try their luck at calling in a favour. This is called “using your cables”. I’ve heard rumours that people are willing to pay through their nose for a guaranteed green light. I assume the money is sucked down to the sewers of the country, a dark and slimy place that rarely gets cleaned out.

At the end of the day, the hundreds who are not successful, suck in a deep disappointed breath and carry on.

The Silver Lining…

The way I see it, I don’t even have the right to get upset. The reason is simple. Fate and purpose. These are two mysteries that we are simply not privileged to know or understand in our lifetime. While it isn’t wrong to ask for something, or pray for a desired outcome, please do so, understanding that things happen on a timeline that is very different from ours. Make preparations if you must, attend interviews, plan your years ahead but, *cliché alert* only when the time is right will things start to happen.

Every time I get the dreaded rejection notice, it reminds me that I still have an important purpose to serve here in Kulai. There may still be people to meet and affect, lessons to learn and experiences to live through. You may get impatient thinking you are ready for the next step. Newsflash, you’re staring at the wrong clock! Some say it is all written in the stars, but I like to believe that God has noticed you standing patiently in the queue, and so your moment will surely come. Take a step back, make plans for your future but don’t forget to live out your purpose in the present.

The End

 

No comments: