Friday 7 May 2021

Morning Meanders

Hi reader, what’s been going on in your life? Hope all is well!

I just got my pink bracelet removed yesterday. If you are wondering what that could possibly mean, it’s in reference to a tiny plastic bracelet that I had to wear for a number of days due to possible exposure to someone who had caught the Covid-19 virus. The bracelet was given out by the healthcare officials the same day that I got a swab test for myself and was removed a couple of days after the test showed a negative result. 

During those days of quarantine, I had to forego my morning walks and daily dose of fresh air, so this simple pleasure was what I looked forward to the most, the minute the band was snipped off. I took an extra long walk today, soaking up the warm rays of the sunrise, savouring each minute that I could be outside. You may think this is all a bit dramatic, but it’s true! I suppose you never know how much you miss something until it’s taken away from you.

When I first started the habit of taking these brisk strolls back in March, I used to play music on my Spotify app. The songs were usually from the Malaysian or American top 50 English Hits, and after a few rounds, my favourites would be on repeat. However, soon I realised that these songs weren’t really doing it for me anymore. I noticed that instead of finding calmness and pleasure in the physical act of walking, I was constantly preoccupied with choosing the next song, skipping one I didn’t like, or searching through the list to ensure the following tune was queued up in time. My head, which was supposed to be at peace, was on constant alert for the silly reason of guaranteeing an entertaining soundtrack to my exercise. My brain was forced to play conductor of this symphony, that failed to harmonise the body and mind. Again, a bit theatrical but bear with me.  Very quickly, it became a chore to drag myself out of bed at daybreak. The workout wasn’t ….working out.  

One day I decided to ditch the pop and opted for a podcast instead. There was a plethora of choices available to me, but I gravitated towards social commentary on life and everyday issues. Some podcasts that I enjoyed tuning in to were ones by Michael Knowles, Ben Shapiro and Matt Walsh. They spoke on American politics, and social matters plaguing modern society. The channels were organised into headers with introductions which enabled the listener to get an idea of what they were going to hear. I picked thought-provoking topics that I thought relevant to my life. What a change indeed! My brain was finally unmuted and allowed to think! I found myself reflecting on the many topics discussed and horrified at some issues dissected. A few days of this new routine was enough to bring back the joy to this daytime recreation of mine, which allowed my body to relish in the energising movement and my brain to contently ponder along as well.

At times, when I didn’t feel like hearing about another worldly predicament, I would turn on reflection podcasts and listen to the musings on self-awareness and self-improvement. Fr. Mike Schmitz or Bishop Barron offered some great content on different struggles and conflicts one may go through as well as the Christian perspective on those dilemmas. I occasionally tuned in to Jordan Peterson to hear his ruminations on taking responsibility in life. To conclude the morning outing, I immersed myself in church hymns for the last 15 minutes on the way home. Hymns, though they involved music, differed from pop songs, because the lyrics were meaningful to me, and the tunes, timeless as I had grown up singing them for years. Between motivational talks, social discussions, hymns and religion, I had plenty to choose from. They were not all successes, however. For a time, I tried to listen to familiar prayers while on the walk but decided against it in the end because prayer required absolute concentration. This was not something I could spare as I crossed roads, dodged stray branches and avoided cat poop. Perhaps prayer was better said in the quiet of my room. 

Well, this has been my routine since.

Overall, my mornings have taken a turn for the better. I have started waking up earlier, 6.30am, sometimes 6am to get longer walking sessions. On the physical front, Google fitness app has proved to be a useful companion to calculate the steps taken and distance covered. It helps me keep track of the calories I burn and step goal for the day through something called “heart points” (still don’t quite get that). Contrary to what some might think, far from being lethargic and fatigued in school later on, I feel quite the opposite. I feel that getting in some physical activity in the morning gives my heart and body a head start, so that by the time I go to school, we’re already pumping and geared up for a full day. Another positive outcome of this is that you are sufficiently tired at bedtime, which ensures a restful slumber at night.

To conclude, if you’ve been considering starting off with something non-stressful to add to your fitness routine, I highly recommend an early morning walk. There is no better time to be alone with your thoughts and prepare your body for the work that lies ahead in a leisurely yet energising manner. An amble a day, keeps the doctor away!

No comments: