Tuesday 30 November 2010

Roadside Crosses by Jeffery Deaver

I started reading this novel the last time I was back in September, and kicked myself for not bringing the book back with me to Kedah to finish the last chapter.

I have finished it.

I like this book because I thought it was going to be a silly American cop book, because of the way it started, with characters you can't see yourself liking. In other words, I liked it because it wasn't what I expected it to be. The genre would probably be thriller, because of the chase, between good guys and the bad guys throughout. There is also a much appreciated element of suspense due to the fact that something new and outrageous seems to crop up at every chapter. This I like.

And it's not your traditional murder motive, for money or revenge or any of that CSI rubbish, which makes it somewhat a psychological thriller. I was talking about the novels we read with my friend Jacinta, and I realised that I have come to like books that enlighten me on topics that are otherwise rarely thought about like gaming for instance. Online gaming is an issue in this novel and I found out some things that I really didn't know.

I mean, reading romantic novels by Nicholas Sparks is all well and good when you're on the toilet seat or waiting for the train, when you just want to see a happy ending and a match made in heaven, but for good thought provoking or informative reads, I enjoy Jodi Picoult, John Grisham, Keith Ablow and newest addition Mister Jeffery Deaver.

Having said that, it was not mind blowingly awesome. It was not that much of a page turner although some false alarms did make me flip like I've never flipped before.

Altogether a good read.

No comments: